No Tricks...7 Things to Know About Keeping Your Dog Away From Chocolate

With costumes, scary faces and, especially, the candy—Halloween is one of the biggest days of the year for children seeking fun and sweets. However, this is not true for pets and especially not true for dogs that might inadvertently eat some candy, worse yet that might eat some chocolate. Chocolate can be deadly to dogs, so be sure to keep your beloved furry friend away from Halloween candy and chocolate at any time of the year.

Happy Halloween from The Flippy Flopper

How It Happens

Inadvertently a dog gets into a bowl of candy or a piece of candy, that’s one thing to prevent. Another is someone actually giving the dog candy when sugar is not good for the dog but chocolate can be deadly.

No matter how much a dog begs, never give a dog candy. And if a dog should eat some chocolate, there are steps you need to take right away.

What To Do

First step is call your veterinarian to ascertain best steps to follow in the situation at hand. If your vet’s office is not open, call an emergency vet. The ASPCA’s 24-hour poison hotline (888-426-4435) is always a great call to make.

Note: It’s best to have those phone numbers and addresses ready and handy at all times so that you’re not spending time looking when the situation is urgent.

Second step is usually to get your dog to vomit so that the chocolate is out of the system, but let an expert tell you what to do based on the circumstances.

Keep a watchful eye over your pet in the meantime for such symptoms of poisoning as:

  • Extreme thirst
  • Diarrhea
  • Too much energy
  • Pacing
  • Panting
  • Shaking
  • Seizures

How Much Is Too Much

Any amount of chocolate can be deadly, so any amount is too much.

The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine. Humans easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system.

No Amount of Chocolate Is Safe

Even a little bit of chocolate can make your dog ill.

Dark chocolates, baking chocolate and dry cocoa powder (for example, hot chocolate mix) are more dangerous than white chocolate or milk chocolate. But 1 ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight could still be deadly.

By the Way

Theobromine is also found in tea, cola beverages and açaí berries, among other food and beverage products. And it is also dangerous and deadly to cats and other animals, so be aware of any pet getting into candy and chocolate around the house.

Cocoa Shell Mulch: A Little-Known Danger

Think twice before you spread cocoa shell mulch on your property. It’s dangerous for pets, too, and dogs are attracted to its sweet smell. Use shredded pine, cedar or hemlock bark instead, ASPCA suggests.

We love our pets and owe it to them and ourselves to never let any harm come to them on our watch.

Just because you dog can't celebrate with candy this Halloween, don't forget, you can keep them happy with a number of our products!

 

Leave a Reply